New Roofing vs. Re-Roofing – Here’s The Difference
If you’re in the market for a new roof, you may be wondering whether it’s better to go with a full re-roof or a brand-new roof installation. It can be difficult to know which option is right for your home and budget, so our pros at Roof Bear are here to help explain the differences between these two services.
We’ll break down what each entails and help you make an informed decision about the best course of action for your property. Let’s get started!
What is The Difference?
First, let’s talk about new roofing. This involves completely removing the existing roof and replacing it with a brand-new one.
On the other hand, re-roofing involves adding another layer of shingles on top of an existing roof system. This option can be more cost-effective than installing a new roof as it eliminates some labor costs associated with tearing off old shingles.
Let’s dive into the difference and pros and cons a little deeper.
New Roofing Defined
A new roof is, you guessed it, when a roofing company tears all the existing shingles and underlayment off of the decking and installs a completely new roof.
A new roof installation is necessary when your current roof has exceeded its lifespan or if you want to upgrade to a better roofing system. Depending on the size of your home and the difficulty of the job, this process could take a few days to several weeks.
New Roofing Pros & Cons
There are several reasons why getting a brand-new roof is a great idea, including:
- New roofs have a longer lifespan and last longer than re-reroofing
- The value of your home will go up with a new roof
- A replacement allows you to choose a new roofing material if you’d like to switch to metal, tile, etc.
Now, let’s consider the cons. P.S. There’s only one!
- An entirely new roof will cost much more than a re-roof
When Should You Get a New Roof?
There are times when a re-roof is just not an option. Replacing your roof is best when:
- Your roof is nearing the end of its useful life
- You notice extensive leaking or water damage
- The flashing is missing or damaged
- You have already had your home re-roofed before
Since the new shingle overlay protects the existing shingles while restoring the appearance of your roof, re-roofing may also be referred to as roof restoration.
Generally, re-roofing is used to update the appearance of your roof and prevent leaks. We consider this a quick-fix solution for homeowners who need to fix their roofs fast. But be wanted, this is only a temporary solution.
An important note: Re-roofing only applies to asphalt shingle roofing. It is not recommended for roofing materials like tile or metal. Additionally, if your roof already has more than one layer of shingles, you cannot have it re-roofed.
Re-Roofing Pros & Cons
There are several pros to having your home reroofed, including:
- Re-roofing is cheaper than a new roof
- A re-roof doesn’t take much time to install
- New shingles give your home a fresh look
- An overlayer of new shingles reinforces the structure of your roof
Some cons include:
- If the roof is in poor condition, it might not be suitable to be re-roofed.
- Some building codes prohibit reroofing
- Do not last as long as a new roof
- Re-roofing can void some manufacturer warranties
- It can lower the resale value of your home
When Should You Re-Roof?
So, when exactly should you choose a re-roof over a new roof? There are a few specific times when you might want to consider it:
- The roof is in good condition, but it is nearing the end of its lifespan of 20-35 years.
- You’ve noticed minor leaks but no major water damage.
- One area of your roof has damage or needs repairs, but the rest is in good condition.
How Do I Know Which is Right for Me?
Our licensed roofing contractors at Roof Bear will come out to your home to evaluate your roof to determine whether your home needs a re-roof or if you need to replace your roofing material completely. While completing our inspection, we will ensure that your roof is in good enough condition for a re-roof, and if it isn’t we will discuss your roofing options such as asphalt shingles, tile, metal, etc. with you.
Our team is here to give you peace of mind throughout the entire process, whether it is a simple re-roof or an entirely new roof!
Get Started with Roof Bear
Roof Bear is the best choice for any re-roofing and new roofing needs in Orlando, Sarasota, Tampa, and The Villages. Our commitment to customer satisfaction is unmatched, making us the go-to roofers in Central Florida.
Not only that, but we also offer competitive prices that can fit within any budget. So, if you’re looking for a top-notch roofing service in the area, look no further than Roof Bear! Contact us at (727) 471-7442 for a roofing quote today!